Every year Channel 94.1 teams up with The Lydia House, a division of the Open Door Mission, to collect and distribute diapers to young mothers with infant children. In exchange for one package of diapers I’ll take 20% off your purchase of Wee Vintage handmade goods at local pop ups! I’ve also provided a link to donate. $5 adds up and is so greatly appreciated. If donating online, in the drop down box select the Lydia House and in comments please add a note that your donation is for Channel 941.1 diaper drive. Here is the secure link
I couldn’t imagine the feeling of not being able to provide an every day necessity like diapers. As a mother having to worry about those little buns not being comfortable, dry, and warm would be so heartbreaking.
The Open Door Mission was founded in 1954 committed to breaking the cycle of homelessness and poverty. Each day, Open Door Mission’s campus offers 816 safe, shelter beds to homeless men, women and children, serves over 2,000 hot, nutritious meals and provides preventive measures to more than 275 people living in poverty.
Here are few facts about todays homeless population:
- Approximately 20,000 people are homeless in Nebraska every night.
- Approximately 2,000 people are homeless in Omaha every night.
- The average age of a homeless person is 9 years old.
- More than 3.5 million people are homeless every night, and 1.35 million are children.
- More than 30 percent of homeless families have an open case for child abuse or neglect.
- Of the 31.1 million people living in poverty, more than 12 million are children.
- Families with children represent 23 percent of the homeless.
- Nationally, about 50 percent of all homeless women and children are fleeing domestic violence.
- Studies indicate that 40 percent of homeless men have served in the armed forces, compared to 34 percent in the general population.
- The National Coalition for Homeless Veterans estimates that on any given night 271,000 veterans are homeless in the United States.
- About 16 percent of adult homeless people suffer from severe and persistent mental illness.
- It is estimated that 30 percent of homeless single adults suffer from substance abuse and addiction.
- Up to 25 percent of the urban homeless population is employed.
* from http://www.opendoormission.org/about-us/